Just reminders of how finding gratitude in the commonplace keeps me on an even keel.
- Running 5 miles, looping a windy beachfront, with earbuds in & my roommate’s dog by my side, at sunset yesterday.
- Choosing to take a month off from social media…others have that choice made for them.
- A 40+ hour workweek that I don’t “hate;” easily “tolerate;” and at times, even “enjoy.”
- Outside of gainful employment, personal responsibilities that essentially amount to diet, exercise, bills & blogging.
- Regular communication with friends, family, and sober allies — all who genuinely express interest in & care about my life.
- General autonomy & independence.
- Time management policies that allow me to positively reflect on all the above.
Commonplace. My day-to-day life. Such a basic quality of “comfort” and “ease” runs through it, and that is so much more than many, many others will ever be afforded.
I have to ask myself, “Is this enough?”
Much as I have astoundingly, incredibly removed the desire to drink…I now practice removing the omnipresent desire for more.
It is enough.